Board meeting of January 8, 2010
From Chesapeake Shores HOA
- Peyton Carr (President)
- Jack Caldwell
- Dave Norris (Treasurer)
- Joe Dzikiewicz (Secretary)
- Sonny Fauver
- Hal Rose
- Billie Millner
- The board agreed on a budget and on a membership fee. Details, along with a solicitation for membership, will be sent to the land owners shortly.
- After some discussion, the board decided to try to get ownership of the community's roads, notably Pritchett Road and Chesapeake Shores Drive. The following points led to this decision:
- The Chesapeake Shores Corporation tried to deed the roads to the state of Virginia. However, there is no record of the state accepting the roads.
- We considered leaving the roads in a state of limbo to avoid taking liability and the need to pay property taxes for them.
- However, based on taxes paid by other Mathews communities on their roads, we believe that the cost of taxes would be negligible, on the order of $70-150 a year.
- Further, the insurance policy that we've already gotten for the HOA covers liability on roads.
- If the state or county owned the roads, it would limit our ability to stop trespassing.
- Owning the roads gives us more options for limiting trespassing in case it ever proves necessary.
- It's not clear that we could take over the properties previously owned by the Chesapeake Shores Corporation and not also take ownership of the roads.
- Sonny Fauver was selected as Vice President, replacing Drew Mulhare, who resigned at the last meeting.
- The Fish and Wildlife grants for beach preservation were turned down. Our contacts in Fish and Wildlife believe that there might be other sources of funding, but we do not have details on this.
- The next meeting will be April 9, 2011.