Board election procedures for 2011
Chesapeake Shores Homeowners Association Election Ballot and Procedures
August 1, 2011
Dear Fellow CSHOA Members,
Your Board of Directors of the Chesapeake Shores Homeowners Association (BOD) set Saturday, September 3, 2011, at 10:30 A.M. as the date and time for the Association’s first Annual Meeting of Owners. The Annual Meeting will be held at the Beulah United Methodist Church, 7505 New Point Comfort Highway (Rt. 14), New Point, Va. 23109.
One primary matter at our annual meetings will be the election of Owners to serve on the Board of Directors. As you know, a Board of eight volunteers incorporated the Association on August 26, 2010. Since then, five Board Members continue to serve as volunteers and have agreed to run for terms in the upcoming election . As of this date, no other volunteer has offered to stand for this election. However, the Bylaws of our Association permit that “Members may make additional nominations for each vacancy on the Board of Directors for which no more than one (1) Person has been nominated by notifying the Secretary of the name of the additional nominee at least twenty (20) days prior to the date of the election.” Following are guidelines to assist you should you wish to run or nominate another to run:
- Self-nominations are encouraged. All nominees must be in good standing with the Association in accordance with the Bylaws and must agree to volunteer for a three (3) year term prior to being placed on the Ballot.
- As such, nominations from an Owner (other than a self-nomination) must include a note, signed by the nominee and addressed to the Secretary of the Association, at the Association’s address of Post Office Box 325, Port Haywood, VA 23138, agreeing to serve a three (3) year term if so elected.
- Self-nominees can call the Secretary of the Association, Joe Dzikiewicz at (703) 922-1789 or write to the Secretary at the above address or email the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the Ballot.
- Notice of intent to run for election must be received by the Secretary prior to 5:00 P.M., Monday, August 15, 2011.
For this initial election, five Directors will be elected for staggered terms. The two Persons receiving the most votes will serve an initial term of three (3) years. The next two Persons receiving the most votes will serve an initial term of two (2) years. The fifth elected Person will serve an initial term of one (1) year. After these initial terms are served, each subsequent term of office will be for three (3) years. In the event of two or more Persons receiving the same number of votes, the current Board of Directors shall determine the initial staggered terms by vote of the Directors.
Attached with this letter is a SAMPLE Proxy/Ballot that you may use to submit your vote, or you may use to assign another to vote on your behalf, if you are unable to attend the annual meeting. You will see that there are five names on the ballot that represent the nominations that have been made by the BOD. The secretary will notify members of any additional floor nominations by August 20, 2011. (Note: This SAMPLE ballot becomes OFFICIAL once the floor nomination process has been completed.)
The election will be generally conducted as follows:
- The secretary will conduct a roll call to confirm CSHOA membership and to establish that a quorum is present.
- The president will call for the election to be held.
- Election committee members will provide ballots to members as needed.
- The completed ballots will be collected by the secretary.
- The Election Commettee will count the votes and will announce the result.
This information as well as any updates will be displayed on the association web site at http://chesapeakeshoreshoa.com/
Sonny Fauver, Drew Mulhare, Chuck Neff Elections Committee